The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960, statutorily to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions. The NRCS has its operational structures in its 37 Branches countrywide, one in each State andthe Federal Capital Territory, with over 800,000 volunteers across the 774 Local Government Areas of the Federation.
Our mandate as a National Society is to prevent and alleviate human suffering and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, religion or political opinions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer
Locations: Calabar, Ogoja-Cross River, Adikpo-Benue, (Takum, Gembu) – Taraba
Employment Type: Contract
Reports to: Project Manager
Dotted Line: Manager – Branch Secretary
The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
With support from UNHCR, Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) is implementing ‘Delivering Health and Nutrition Assistance to Cameroon Refugees project’. The project aims to strengthen access and delivery of quality healthcare and nutrition services to 6000 Cameroon refugees and host communities in Benue, CrossRivers and Taraba state of Nigeria. Since the conflict in southern Cameroon began in October 2016, displaced persons cross the border into neighboring Nigeria in search of safety, stability and a better life. As of 31 October 2019, there are more than 46,000 Cameroonian refugees registered in Cross River, Benue, Taraba, and Akwa Ibom States in the south-eastern region of Nigeria.
NRCS is focusingon strengthening the health care systems in refugees host communities and camps in Benue, Cross Rivers and Taraba Statesthrough support tofree delivery of healthcare to pregnant women, children under 5 years of age, the elderly (above 60years of age) and most vulnerable including but not limited to the disable and mentally ill. The project also supports medical outreach and referral linkages of affected population to national free priority health interventions including but not limited to immunization, HIV care, and sexual and reproductive health in order to improve health outcomes.
- Nigerian Red Cross Society is seeking qualified and committed medical and health care professionals for medical outreach and Primary Health Care services to strengthen and expand the provision of essential health services to refugee population in Benue, Cross Rivers and Taraba States.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the project officer will provide administrative and technical leadership at Branch level to ensure that the project goals and objectives are achieved in the State.
- In sync with the Branch Secretary, the Project Officer will lead the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project at the branch.
- Works closely with the Project Manager and Branch Secretary in defining the project scope to facilitate decision-making for project implementation.
- Works closely with the Branch Secretary for the development of monthly proposal and working advances budget for the project
- Conducts budget reviews and analyses in conjunction with the project accountant for discussion with the Project Manager.
- Assists with the implementation of finance and accounting, records management, communications, and feedback to facilitate project implementation.
- Assists the Project Manager and the Branch Secretary with the establishment of sustainability and project exit strategies from the inception of the project.
- Interfaces with key stakeholders in the State, keeps track of their deliverables, and keeps the Project Manager up to date.
- Engage, interacts with, and supports the national and Donors teams during oversight and monitoring and supervision of the project components.
- Prepares regular reports to assist the Project Manager to track the progress of project components to ensure schedules and deadlines are being met.
- Identify project issues and possible solutions and bring them to the attention of the Project Manager for action.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the project management team.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree, MBBS, Public Health, Nursing or related discipline
- At least 5 years senior level work experience in health program management in or equivalent.
- Previous supervision or team leader experience.
Application Closing Date
11th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates who are passionate and willing to contribute towards the achievement of our goals should send their CV and Cover Letter as one document in PDF format saved with their name to: [email protected] Subject of the mail: Position_State Example: Project Officer_Benue State.
- Kindly note that applications who do not follow this specification will be disqualified.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.