The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship otherwise called Vanier CGS is scholarship program that helps Canadian institutions attract greatly qualified doctoral scholars.The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship was made to attract and preserve world-class doctoral scholars and to brand Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. VCS assists students who display both leadership skills and a high level of scholarly accomplishment in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health. The scholarship is worth $50,000 yearly for 3 years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship – About
Eligible Countries: All
To be Taken at (country): Canada
Offered Annually: Yes
Award Type: Doctoral (PhD)
- Consult nominating institution for submission deadline for Students.
- Deadline: 3rd November, 2020 (20:00 EDT) for nominating institutions.
Information for nominating institutions: Nominating institutions are encouraged to consider diversity in discipline, gender, official language, and citizenship when considering which candidates to nominate for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
Areas of research:
- Health Research
- Natural Sciences and/or Engineering Research
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research
See Other Scholarships Opportunities Here
- Abdullah Gül University Scholarship in Turkey 2021
- Wellcome UK Government Scholarships 2021 | Fully Funded
- Barcelona GSE Scholarships in Spain 2021
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition in UK 2021
Eligibility for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
To be eligible for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- The scholarship is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international students pursuing a doctoral degree at eligible Canadian universities.
- To be nominated for a Vanier CGS, applicant must be nominated by just one Canadian institution, which must have gotten a Vanier CGS quota.
- Applicant must be pursuing first doctoral degree (as well as joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Be informed that only the PhD portion of a joint degree is qualified for funding.
- Applicant should intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Applicant should know that only the PhD portion of a joint degree is qualified for funding.
- Applicant should not have completed beyond 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2021;
- Applicants should have attained a first-class average, as determined by the institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to communicate to the institution for its definition of a first-class average.
- They must not have, or have had, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligibility of Degree Programs
- Doctoral awards are plausible only in degree programs that have a noteworthy research component. The research component must be a prerequisite for accomplishment of the program, and is considered to be significant original, autonomous research that leads to the completion of a dissertation, major scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit reviewed at the institutional level. Clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology are also eligible programs if they have a significant research component, as described above.
- Academic merit, as established by previous academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidates research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal Achievement:
- Involvement in Academic Life:
- Volunteerism/community outreach:
- Civic engagement:
Benefits of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Beneficiaries of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship will be offered the benefits below:
- A sum of $50,000 yearly for three years.
- Number of Scholarship: About 166 scholarships are granted yearly.
How to Apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
To apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, applicants should follow the guidelines below:
- Applicants must be selected by the university at which they want to study.
- Applicants cannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
- It is vital to go over the application requirements in the official webpage before applying.
- Check Scholarship Webpage for Details.
- Award Providers: The Vanier’s scholarships are administered by Canada’s three federal funding agencies:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)