AERC is pleased to welcome submissions for the 2021/2022 AERC Thesis Research Scholarship. This is made available to African graduate students who are enrolled in a PhD degree program in Economics at institutions in or outside Africa. The aid is specifically presented to individuals whose thesis research proposal is on human capital development in Africa. The applicants’ research could also be targeted on a nation or region.
Award Type: Grant
Eligible Countries: African nations
Number of Awards: Not stated
Application Deadline: 25th August, 2021
AERC Thesis Research Scholarship – About
AERC – African Economic Research Consortium was founded in the year 1988 as a public not-for-profit organization dedicated to the development of economic policy research, and training in the whole of Africa. The scheme’s directive and strategic intent is to build sustained development in sub-Saharan. Africa needs well-skilled, locally based expert economists. AERC advocates impacts Francophone and Anglophone African nations through provision of assistance in the areas of policy research, and graduate training.
The support will be specifically to students whose thesis research proposal is on human capital development in Africa. Research could also be targeted on a country or region.
See Other Scholarships Opportunities Here
- Abdullah Gül University Scholarship in Turkey 2021
- Wellcome UK Government Scholarships 2021 | Fully Funded
- Barcelona GSE Scholarships in Spain 2021
- Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition in UK 2021
Fields Eligible for AERC Thesis Research Scholarship
The broad themes and sub-themes on human capital development in Africa for research are:
- Human Capital Formation and its Determinants (i.e., fertility, education and skills, health).
- Human Capital Formation Understanding and its Determinants
- Measuring and Interpreting Inequality
- Human Capital in the Family and Family Economics
- Health human capital and economic growth in Africa
- Human Capital Drivers and Consequences (Population, Skills Acquisition, Migration and Impacts)
- Measuring and Assessing Skills
- Human capital flight: stratification, globalization, and the challenges to tertiary education in Africa
- Health services in Africa and human resource crisis
- The Influence of Brain Drain on Economic Development in Africa
- Human Capital Depletion (Health and longevity, Investment/Financing quantum)
Health and Schooling Investments in Africa.
- Financing Human Capital Investment
- Climate change and human capital
- Climate Change, Disease and Gender Gaps in Human Capital Investment
- Human capital formation and foreign direct investment
- The Cost of HIV/AIDS and Disease on Human Capital Investment in Africa
Eligibility for AERC Thesis Research Scholarship
To be eligible for AERC Thesis Research Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- Applicants should be African graduate scholars enrolled in a doctoral degree program in Economics at a renowned university either in or outside Africa.
- Applicants must have accomplished all course requirements for the degree.
- Applicants must have successfully defended their proposals and they are in the writing stage of the dissertation.
- They have not gotten any other sponsorship to back these dissertation activities outlined in the PhD proposal/budget.
Benefits of AERC Thesis Research Scholarship
Beneficiaries of AERC Thesis Research Scholarship will be offered the benefits below:
- Ph.D. thesis research grant support to African graduate students registered in a PhD degree program in Economics.
How to Apply for AERC Thesis Research Scholarship
To avail AERC Thesis Research Scholarship, please follow the guidelines below:
● Requests should be supported by proof of registration in a acknowledged PhD program in Economics.
● An approved research proposal, complete with visibly defined goals, significant literature review, a properly‐outlined analytical framework and germane research methodology.
● A reference letter from the thesis supervisor.
● A depiction of the plan of work for the thesis research as well as details of fieldwork, and write up.
● A comprehensive budget.
● Proof of any added monetary support that may be needed to complete the program.
● A CV.
The closing date for applying for the AERC Thesis Research Scholarship is August 25th, 2021. Candidates should submit their applications to:
Director of Training
African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
3rd Floor, MEBANK Towers, Jakaya Kikwete Road
P.O. Box 62882-00200 Nairobi, Kenya
Tel (254-20) 2734163; 722205272; 733333298
Email: [email protected]
To inquire further about AERC Thesis Research Scholarship, please visit the official website.