International students who are looking to further their education in Canada and are looking for schools that offer them scholarships. Studying abroad can be quite expensive, and international students feel they can’t afford it. Hence, they look for schools in Canada that gives scholarships for master’s students and want to apply for them.
In this article, we will be discussing the schools in Canada that give scholarships and their requirements. The requirements help international students know what they are eligible for and the schools they can apply for.
Ontario Graduate Scholarships
The Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) is a merit-based scholarship sponsored by the provincial government to encourage academic excellence at the masters and doctoral levels. Also, this offer is available to international students. As an international student, you should know these points before applying;
- It is valued at $15,000 per year;
- The minimum duration the scholarship may be held for is two consecutive terms;
- Be an international student studying in Ontario with a student study permit to be eligible for this award.
To be eligible for this, you ought to have an academic score that weighs up to 30-50% set aside by the school, this should show on your transcripts. In addition, you should be sound in making researches and there should be proofs of this. Such proofs include having programs, publications, seminars, etc. Furthermore, having leadership skills will be an added advantage. If you have ever been a leader in any form it is wise to let them know when applying.
Canada Graduate Scholarships
The objective of the Canada graduate scholarship is to improve the research skills and training of highly skilled personnel to improve students in research skills. However, there are things you should note;
- valued at $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable;
- be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the masters or doctoral level at a Canadian institution with a CGS allocation.
Simon Fraser University Financial Aid and Awards
This is a merit-based scholarship for international students who have academic excellence in their prior degree. Although, they have a bursary is available to international students. However, you need to be eligible for it and their requirements include;
- have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 at SFU (waived for students in their first term at SFU).
- be enrolled full-time in an approved program, unless otherwise stipulated.
- have a demonstrated financial need (as assessed by SFU).
University of Calgary Graduate Awards
International students can apply for this type of scholarship and like the others, they have their specific requirements. This includes;
- you may apply for awards after you have submitted an application for admission and receive a University of Calgary student number;
- scholarship value ranges from $1,000 to $40,000 and covers different fields of study;
- you must apply for graduate awards;
- qualification is not automatic.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
This scholarship was incorporated into the system by the Canadian government. This, however, was brought in to keep highly rated and qualified Ph.D. students. Also, they want to bring Canada back to the forefront in their global rating. In addition, there are eligibility requirements like the rest of them. These include;
- the fact that you should be doing a Ph.D. program in any Canadian university;
- also, the Canadian university will have to nominate you for the scholarship;
- furthermore, the scholarship is valued at $50000 per year for three years.